Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Haiti

I found this picture while browsing through photos of the aftermath of the earthquake in Haiti. It broke my heart to see this poor father's face as he's carrying his child who was killed in the disaster. My heart aches for the survivors and all that they are going through right now. A lot of people lost loved ones and all that they have in this world, and I am so grateful for all the people who are doing what they can to help. I was reading an article about all the celebrities that are donating and trying to raise money for the relief effort and a lot of the people that commented on it were saying that there are a lot of people suffering here in America too, and that they are going to help them before they would be sending money over there. I don't think people realize that even before this earthquake, the people over there had nothing. And now they have less than that. The only way they can survive and move on is with our help. Even the most poverty stricken family here in America has more than most of the people over there, simply because they live here. We are so blessed to live in this country, we have much to be thankful for, and I hope we can remember that when life gets hard. I was thinking about the big earthquake that is going to hit someday here, and realized that even if it is of a larger magnitude, we still wouldn't suffer the devastation that they are experiencing in Haiti. I am not doing this post to make people depressed, I just wanted to express the thoughts that have been going through my head since last week and I finally got a moment to do it. So, hug your families a little tighter, there are many people in Haiti that lost theirs last week.

3 comments:

Taryn said...

Steph, I appreciate your comments and whole heartily agree with them! It is a sad truth that so many people in our country are blinded by their own selfishness. I'm just astounded at how anyone can turn a blind eye to such need. We are all connected, and we were put here to serve our brothers and sisters. By doing so we grow and learn and become more like Him. It breaks my heart that not everyone gets that. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Jen and Josh said...

It is so sad what has happened. It breaks your heart to think of so many lives lost. The picture of the father carrying his child would be most of worst nightmare come true-loosing a child. I think even though most of us can't go there to help, or send lots of money to help, we can still pray for them and ask for help and blessings on behalf of the people that are suffering so much. And pray that we will be prepared to care for our families when it happens to us.

Pennie said...

I just stumbled on your blog while blog hopping. Thanks for this post! I am going through a lot in my personal life right now - a friend is having surgery for cancer today, etc. and I've been thinking a lot about the big tragedies of life. My dad died last Sept. and I'm still struggling with that. I cannot imagine the devastation those poor people are feeling over there! I cannot fathom losing my whole family and friends. Cannot even wrap my brain around that one. They didn't have much to begin with, and then to add all of the destruction and loss on top of that! My heart goes out to them, too! We are so blessed here, and we need to embrace the people in our lives - today. They may not be here tomorrow.